Skip to main content

Found a F450 Frame

I was going through a local hobby shop, and to my delight, I found that they had a F450 Frame on sale. They said it's the last one in their current stock (but they said more stock is on the way). I'm still waiting for the F550 frame I ordered from eBay. Although the F450 wasn't exactly the one I was looking for, I decided to buy it and give it a try also.

For those who aren't familiar, the F550 is a Hexacopter frame, while the F450 is a Quadcopter frame.

The F450 Fame I found
The F450 Fame I found

The F450 I bought didn't have the DJI branding, so I'm guessing it's a clone. But I can say, it's quite a good quality one.




The F450 Top Plate
The F450 Top Plate
The plates appear to be gold plated (at least, 'some shiny metal' plated). All the connection points are clean and solder padded.

The arms are made with a sturdy material, which should be able to take on a few crashes. And they are very well made.

The arms of F450
The arms of F450
I really like the fact that the threads for screws in the arms are metal instead of plastic. That should make reassembling the frame multiple times much easier.

The metal threads for screws
The metal threads for screws

Overall, I'm extremely happy of the purchase. Hoping the F550 frame, which is on the way, is also of the same quality.

Now, I need to make a decision of which Transmitter I should buy for my multicopter. I have a choice between the FlySky FS-i6S and the RadioLink AT9S.

I'll be doing some research into those two Transmitter models next.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Selecting the Correct Gauge Wires for your RC Models

When we are building RC models (aircrafts, multicopters etc.), something we typically overlook is what type of wires to use to distribute power in them. Usually, we try to reduce the weight of the model, so we tend to go with smaller wires. But, we cant expect to put in small circuit-wires and have them handle the amount of power needed. If you look at the wires that comes in the output leads of a Li-Po, or the wires that comes on a standard XT Jack, you'll notice that they're quite huge. Large gauge wires on a Li-Po and XT connectors These need to be huge to handle the amount of amperage that goes through them. So, we should also consider the amperage, and the length of wire needed when selecting the size (gauge) of the wires.

What do the prop size numbers mean?

Have you been trying to shop for propellers - either online or at a hobby shop - and got confused of the numbering used to denote the size of the propellers? You see things like " 10 x 4.5 CW ", or " 8055 CCW ". What do these numbers mean? A 8 x 4.5 CW and CCW Propeller Set It's actually quite simple once you figure it out. The first number denotes the diameter of the prop (length from tip-to-tip). The second number denotes the pitch of the prop. Here, the pitch is denoted as a length, not a angle. Let's see how that works.

Li-Po Batteries Explained - Part 2

I explained about Li-ion batteries (the predecessor of Li-Po) in my earlier post ( Li-Po Batteries Explained - Part 1 ). Now let's see what these 'Lithium Polymers' are. Lithium-Polymer Batteries - The real ones Li-Po batteries - also known as Li-Poly, Pi-Pol, PLI and PLI - are a type of rechargeable batteries that uses same types of electrodes as the Li-ion batteries. The difference is with the electrolyte it uses. Instead of the liquid solvent used in Li-ions, Li-Po uses a polymer electrolyte. In the original design, which dates back to the 1970's, the electrolyte is a dry, plastic-like, thin film. It doesn't conduct electricity, but allows the exchange of ions between the electrodes. Theoretically, with this design, batteries could be made very thin (less than 1 millimeter) and to a variety of form factors. And because of the electrolyte being dry, the manufacturing process can be simplified and the safety of the battery will be higher because of no risk in